Although it’s freezing here in Canada, the fall spirit got me making apple pie! I tried to mix and match a few recipes online and make it my own with the least amount of processed sugar used. Enjoy!
For the crust:
- 2 cups spelt flour (249 grams, 8.8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut sugar (14 grams, .5 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (6 grams, .2 ounce)
- 10 tablespoons ice water
- 5.25 ounces vegan butter (151 grams)
For the Filling:
- 4 1/2 – 5 cups sliced, peeled apples
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup organic unprocessed maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin butter
- 2½ teaspoons corn starch
- To prepare the crust: Whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Add in the butter. Add the six tablespoons of the ice water–to the dry ingredients. Use a rubber spatula to bring the wet and dry ingredients together. When the mixture has largely clumped together, transfer it to a floured surface and knead lightly, 2-3 times.
- Divide the dough in two, form into disks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- To prepare the filling: Combine all the filling ingredients in a bowl and let sit for 15 minutes.
- To assemble the pie: Preheat your oven to 400℉. Roll out one of the dough disks into a 12-inch round.
Transfer the rolled out dough onto a 9-inch pie dish. I don’t like to trim the excess dough so I leave it.
Place the pie dish with the dough back in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. This reduces shrinkage on the dough when it bakes. After the dough has rested, roll out the other disk and slice into strips. I used 12-14 strips for the lattice top.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie dish and arrange the strips into a lattice. Tuck the excess dough in the dish. Brush the pie lightly with water or dairy-free milk
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400℉ (with convection). Rotate and lower the heat to 375℉ and bake for another 20-25 minutes without convection. The pie is done when the filling starts bubbling and the crust is golden brown. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
- My Last step is to add some vegan and organic Coconut Bliss ice cream and indulge!